Monday, July 6, 2009

NRC (Mohone) Nostalgia

NRC Mohone Nostalgia
Today had a bout of NRC Nostalgia. Got it triggered by browsing profiles of some NRC mates on Facebook. And stumbled upon something delightfully surprising.
I found that one of my NRC schoolmates is doing social work. And that too of a magnitude which I did not expect from anyone I have come across in my life. I always had an impression that out of the so many NRCites I grew up with, I may be the rare one who had such an strong itch for community work. Maybe the only one who was obsessed with ‘making a difference’. But when I read the profile details of one of my schoolmate Jahnvi Andharia, I was wordless for some time. And after further browsing, I was both happy and proud of the work she was doing.
It seems Jahnvi is co-founder of Anandi, a NGO in Gujarat and which does a yeoman service in field of woman equality, woman empowerment, microfinance, rural livelihoods and so on. She along with her other members seem to have not only worked in those areas but have unarguably made a difference in at least some of the areas they are serving. From what I gather she is still single, perhaps indicating her devotion and sincerity towards her selfless work.
I always thought that my work in social field and my book on Microcredit-which was graciously released by Nobel Laureate Mohd, Yunus- was a highest any NRCite can go in field of social work. But Jahnvi has gone several notches up. Her name along with other cofounders was mentioned in TIME magazine. The TIME not only described her work but also praised the bravery and dedication shown under tremendous pressure-after the Gujarat riots, and that is a highest form of honor any NRCite can receive. Come to think of it, how many of the NRCite may have found mention in TIME magazine. It certainly would have been a lifetime achievement for me atleast, to find my mention in TIME magazine.
This information made me happy that I know atleast someone, who has made other peoples lives- the main objective of their own life. It also makes me feel proud that someone had guts to go ahead and try to ‘make a difference’. It certainly made my day.
Suddenly have an immense desire to interact with Jahnvi and understand her overall thoughts, views and of course exchange work notes. Let’s see when it happens

So till next time…….

No comments:

Post a Comment